St. Patrick's Day Fun

St. Patricks Day fun!

I'm an irish gal born the day before St. Patty's day...so I love the holiday! :)
It can be so much fun with young children!
I'd like to share some early childhood ideas that I've used every year in my classroom and with my son!

__________________

Shamrock Shakes:
Make your own shamrock shake with milk and Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Blend in a blender and for extra color add a bit of green food coloring!

Minty Water Play
Water play is always fun...but it is especially arousing for the senses when you add essences! In a tub or bowl of water, add a few drops of mint oil and allow your child to play with their favorite water toys or measuring utensils.



Pot Of Gold

It is so much fun to collect rocks outside and spray paint them gold for counting. After gold paint has dried, mark nuggets with permanent marker (1, 2, 3) or with black colored dots for a fun, St. Patty's day inspired math activity!

Blue and Yellow Make Green
St. Patrick's day is a perfect opportunity to discuss colors! Try squirting yellow and blue tempera paint on paper, or a smooth surface with shaving cream, and allow your child to smear them together to understand this effect on their own!

Suggested Reading


Little Blue and Little Yellow by Leo Leoni

The perfect book for a precursor to discovering green...and one of my favorites! A story of two "color friends". :)





Green Pepper Printing

Cut a green pepper directly down the middle to make a shamrock shape! Place on a shallow tray of green paint and make Shamrock Pepper Prints!


Lucky Charms Sorting and Counting

Buy a box of lucky charms and sort all of the different marshmallow shapes. Count and graph them! Older kids will LOVE this activity.


Two Cute St. Patty's Day Songs


Song for St. Patrick's Day:
To the Tune of The Bear Went Over the Mountain

We're wearing green for the Irish We're wearing green for the Irish We're wearing green for the Irish On this St. Patrick's Day


We'll dance a jig for the Irish We'll dance a jig for the Irish We'll dance a jig for the Irish On this St. Patrick's Day


Me Mither and Fither were Irish Me Mither and Fither were Irish Me Mither and Fither were Irish And I am Irish too


We kept a pig in the parlor We kept a pig in the parlor We kept a pig in the parlor And he is Irish too.



And if you like the leprechaun concept...


I'm a little Leprechaun


To the tune of I'm a Little Teapot


I'm a little leprechaun dressed in green

the tiniest man that you've ever seen.

If you ever catch me so it's told

I'll give you my pot of Gold!

Large Motor Idea
Get some exercise and gross motor practice--great for any age! Trace green footsteps on paper and tape to the floor. Use for a treasure hunt, or just to walk and follow. Toddlers learning to walk will have so much fun following the prints. Older kids can "dance a jig" and follow more advanced footstep directions!


Better yet and if you dare...

Stretch out a large sheet of butcher paper, paint or stamp feet green, and dance to irish music. Make sure to display your fancy footwork afterward! :)


EXTRA RESOURCES


Printable St. Pat's maze for your older child
Maze

Lots of St. Patrick's Day Coloring Pages
Coloring Pages

I hope you've enjoyed these activities and have fun with your little one on St. Patrick's Day! :)

1 Comment:

  1. Faith said...
    Wow! The ice cream looks tasteful:D
    Like you I have also taught a few kids and my own, I've printed most of the images I used from thecolor.com-Patty's Day

Post a Comment